Sunday, June 2, 2013

#44: Are We Seriously STILL Fighting Against Racism?

In my last note, "Dodger Logic #43: This One's For the Girls," I talked about an article called "Is This the Best (or Only) Possible World? Oppression and Socialization" by Davita Silfen Glasberg and Deric Shannon. I talked about the gender role aspect of the article, but there's actually more to the article than that, so I'm going to now discuss a tiny bit about the white superiority socialization and racist oppression aspect of the article. I implore you to go back to my previous note and read the definitions of the terms "socialization" and "oppression socialization" that I explained in that note, because they apply in this note too.

According to the authors of this article, media, family, and schools play a role in white superiority socialization and racist oppression. Here are some things to keep in mind about each category:

Media:
1. Sometimes it's mostly white people that are hired as spokespeople on the news and tv shows.
2. The media can say or show pretty much anything that can give us kind of an idea of which races seem to be "better," more intelligent, more prestigious, more prone to being criminals, etc. (For example, blacks who are caught committing crimes are more likely to be seen on the news than are their white counterparts, just like black criminals are more likely to be convicted of their crimes than are white criminals. I see this in my own family. I won't say who, but one person in particular in my family has a bad perspective on black people, in general, mostly because of what he sees on tv.)

Family:
1. Stereotypes are reinforced within families. (This could go either way. Families could reinforce racism in their families, or they could discourage it.)

Schools:
1. Schools rely on funding, which middle class (largely white) communities can afford, while lower class (largely black and Latino) communities can not afford.
2. A study in New York revealed that white teachers at a largely white school earned, on average, $81,410 annually, while black and Latino teachers at a black and Latino school only earned, on average, $47,345 annually. That's a pay gap of 73%.
3. Personnel in schools are largely white. In 2004 and 2005, only 7.6% of elementary and secondary public school teachers were black, and only 4.4% were Latino.

Now, speaking about the school portion of this solely, I have always been one to believe that the best students should be admitted into college, disregarding what the person looks like. This goes for teachers and other professionals as well. The best teachers should get the job, for example. It shouldn't matter what the person looks like. It should only matter what the person brings to the table. So if 80% of Harvard students are white, simply because this 80% of applicants were the best of the best, then is that ok? I've always said yes, because the best of the best should be accepted into the school and be given the job they apply for. However, does this send the wrong message to our kids (and to everyone else, for that matter?) Does this send subliminal messages of racism to our young people (and everyone else, for that matter?) Hmmm...

Again, the authors of this article and I are only speaking generally. And, I'm sorry if it's difficult to tell which parts of this note were written by Glasberg and Shannon, and which parts are my own. Go read the article if you want to know whose opinion is whose, and to get more information, because the article talks about way more than just this. It's a good read, so check it out.

Ok, I'm going to say just one more thing. In my experience, in my generation, and in the places I've been, it's actually more of a social norm to NOT be racist. As in, if you're a racist, you're ridiculed, and people regard you as a hateful person. It's actually been more of a social norm, in my experience, to fight racism, and to disregard race as being a reason for someone to not be taken seriously or what have you. So don't be on the wrong side of history, you guys! Fight against racsim, so we can move on with our lives and start talking about matters that are actually legitimate arguments. Whether or not blacks and whites are equal or should be treated equally should not even be an issue.

If you still don't think racism is still alive, check out this video. It's some jaw-dropping stuff: http://www.upworthy.com/know-anyone-that-thinks-racial-profiling-is-exaggerated-watch-this-and-tell-me-when-your-jaw-drops-2?g=4.


I like the "Keep Calm" posters, so I had to add this to my note.

An old sign. WOW.

 This is my favorite. We are all the same... Except racists are small-minded. This is a powerful message.


It's true. Ask any kid whose mind has not already been tainted by a racist adult if skin color matters. I can pretty much guarantee you the kid won't even understand why you're asking that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment