Thursday, June 6, 2013

#59: Education Station

There is no doubt in my mind the U.S. education system is extremely flawed. It seems like we're paying for the degree, not the education. And it seems like schools use testing and grading systems that don't work for all types of people. Everyone is different, and therefore, everyone's learning style is different, and everyone's testing style is different. So why do we only use one method of teaching and one method of testing for every student? Finland's school system has been ranked the best in the world, because their students are allowed more recess time, and there's no mandatory testing. You can see this in the picture I posted below.

So what are some changes we could make to our education system? The no mandatory testing thing rings in my ear big time. I, personally, am a horrible test-taker, but I am one of the smartest people I know. (I know that sounds narcissistic, but it's true.) I am extremely A.D.H.D., and I can't focus. I study and study, but I blank when I get the test. I get very nervous and have some pretty extreme anxiety problems, which arise during test-taking. Test-taking is not an efficient method for me! And tons more people are just like me. If you give me a test with a bunch of essay questions, I will pass that test with flying colors, but if you give me some fill-in-the-blank questions, I won't know what in the world to put in the answer space, even if I know the information. And it seems like, on a lot of tests, especially multiple choice tests, so many teachers try to trick you! I just think that some people are good at test-taking, and some people are good at writing essays. So maybe some classes should have people do reports and write essays as their form of testing. For instance, I just took a really great sociology class, in which I learned all kinds of amazing things. I learned a lot, and it was interesting and probably my favorite class in college so far, and my final exam was actually a final paper I had to write. I think I did a great job, and this form of testing fit my learning style better and probably did a much better job at conveying the material to me. I think I learned more by using a writing style in the class. As another form of testing, I think having discussions either as a class or in small groups is very effective. Even one-on-one discussions with the teacher might be good for some people. The teacher could ask the student questions and discuss the material with them and see how much the student actually understands and can explain. (I do realize that not every kind of subject material allows for this kind of testing, and I do realize not all classes are small enough for this kind of testing. However, it's something to think about for some classes, especially primary school classes.) I also think major projects are very good ideas to take the place of test-taking.

One more thing. You know how people always say, "Why am I taking this class? I'll never use it in real life." A lot of the time that's true! I will never use organic chemistry in my life. That I can almost 100% guarantee you. But I had to take it. You know what would be a better use of time and money than taking random exploratory classes and excess core classes in college and high school? Taking classes that will help you prepare for your LIFE! High schools could have a class that teaches driving safety. High school and college classes should definitely have classes in which students learn how to properly budget their money! Other classes that would be helpful in preparing for the future would be classes on how to do taxes and classes on different things adults will need once they're on their own, such as information on different types of insurance, how to take out loans, how to engage in family planning, and how to apply for jobs and start careers. I also think classes on basic skills (such as fixing everyday appliances, househould objects, computers, and other types of everyday technology) should be offered. I think classes on politics, how to be participants in the voting system, how to get involved in the community, and how to be effective leaders should be mandatory. I think students should take classes on the environment, how we can help save the world, and how action is necessary on everyone's part should be mandatory, since saving our planet should be near the top of everyone's priority list. Also, I think more communications classes are a great idea, so communication is the key to success in pretty much anything and everything. We need to stop trying to cut back on the arts too! Those are very important in giving children a creative outlet and a chance to express themselves! I'm actually quite happy with how many English classes kids have to take in order to become efficient writers. Parents aren't always the best at teaching their kids these things, and some students don't even have parents to guide them. To me, the best education does not teach excessive math and science skills, but instead teaches students how to get through life. I have learned way more about math, science, and history than I'll ever need to know. But I'm seriously lacking so many of the areas I mentioned above! I try to educate myself, but it's hard to do it myself, and so many people don't take any interest in educating themselves. Some people don't even realize what they need to be educated on. And I've made all kinds of mistakes already that have stemmed from my misunderstanding of some things, such as the way insurance companies work, which I should have probably been taught by someone by now!

And I just feel like I need to say this. Teachers, please make your classes entertaining, informative, and fun. If you don't, your students will not learn, simply because they are bored stiff. And one more thing: We need to stop pushing our kids to go to college, and start pushing them to follow their dreams and do something with their lives and be hard workers. College is not meant for everyone. And everyone going to college makes the degree worth less for the rest of us. Some people need to go to technical schools for what they want to do. Some people should go to vocational schools. Some people should go to professional training schools. Not everyone needs to go to college for what they want to do. There are all kinds of options. I do think education is a good back-up, and seeking some kind of professional education is a good idea. But some people want to be professional actors and are really good at it, so if they are offered a big time role on Broadway, we shouldn't push them to go to college instead. We shouldn't push our kids to anything specific unless they're sitting at home on their butts doing nothing all day, and their parents are having to take care of them at the age of 24. There are all kinds of career paths, and not one is greater than any other.

***Disclaimer: I hope no one misunderstood anything I said above. Just to be certain no one did, I want to say that I do not believe we should get rid of math, science, history, etc. classes at all. I think they're very important. I am a science wizz myself, so I definitely root for the sciences. But say we got rid of one science class, one math class, one history class, and one literature class for each student in their entire high school careers, and then replaced them with classes for basic skills, tax management, insurance information, driving lessons, etc.? That wouldn't be a terrible loss to any core field. Or think about how many exploratory classes kids get in high school. What if there were a bunch of practical classes offered as exploratory classes, and the kids got to choose between practical classes to take as exploratory classes, if they so choose? Also, I want to make sure you guys understand that I'm not condoning totally pushing kids into not going to any kind of school after high school. Especially in the U.S., education is important. I just think people should choose the proper type and amount of education based on their skills and hopes and aspirations. If college won't help you become a firefighter, but that's really what you want to do, then maybe you should look into going to a physical training school or a firefighting program after high school. (That's totally just an example.) Finally, I want you guys to know that I don't want to simply do away with traditional testing. A lot of classes need that form of testing. However, I do think it's overused. I think some classes would be more efficient in teaching the material if the tests were based on writing papers or doing large projects. That does not work in all situations or in all classes, and I wouldn't expect it to become the new "traditional testing," but it's something to think about in some classes and for some teachers. Ok, I just didn't want anyone to think I'm going completely out of my mind and suggesting that we abolish a bunch of things I don't particularly like.



It seems like many other countries have education systems that better cater to individual needs, capabilities, and strong suits.



The top picture is the one I'm referring to in the note.


Sorry for the profanity, but this sums up exactly what I'm trying to say. The only thing on this list that I learned in high school is how to create a resume.


It's not an uncommon idea. I found this on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment