Tuesday, September 2, 2014

#83: That Cow Could Be My Uncle

 So I just read this article called "The Cultural Ecology of India's Sacred Cattle" by Marvin Harris. I found it mildly interesting, so I'm going to relay some information about here. However, all I know about this matter is what I read in this article, and that triggered a response from me, so I figured I'd write down my thoughts on it here. However, I don't wish to research the topic further, so I just want you guys to know to take this note with a grain of salt. I am not particularly read up on this topic, but based on what I read in this article, a few critiques of it, and a response to the critiques from the author, I have an opinion...of course!

Ahimsa is a tradition in India that means "not to injure." In this case, it pertains to laws prohibiting the harming, killing, and consuming of cows, based on the premise that cows are sacred and could potentially be the reincarnated version of humans. While this is a great practice in theory, it could be causing a lot of problems, and even accomplishing the exact opposite of the intent. For instance, refraining from eating cows has been known to cause protein deficiencies in lower class citizens in India, which is bad enough. Also, the author mentions the "mismanagement" of animals in India. Indians use cows and buffalo for hard labor, and Harris suggests it would be more productive for the economy if they were to utilize machinery such as tractors for their farming purposes, rather than animals. However, one critic disputed this with previous personal experience. She spent time in India, and said she met a middle class farmer who decided to use a tractor rather than animals, but he reverted back to using his animals, because he contended that they were more reliable than the tractor. So who knows if Harris has a point in that respect. But he definitely has a point when he says that India's economy would benefit from utilizing cows for more than what they use them for, which is mainly milk and hard labor. They could definitely use them for a lot more, and thus, boost their economy.

But here's the real kicker. My main concern here is the mistreatment of cattle and buffalo, which is a direct result of this tradition of Ahimsa as it relates to sacred cows in India. First, farmers give more food to their animals that yield them more profit, and thus, are more valuable to them. This means the “less valuable” animals receive less nourishment and are neglected. Second, when their animals become too old to be of any use, farmers have no need for them anymore. Because of laws requiring that cattle be kept alive and not harmed or eaten, farmers keep them around and essentially starve them to death. Why would they waste money on food for them when they yield no profit for the farmers? If the farmers do not do that, then some of them set the old cattle loose to die. Since animals who have been kept in captivity their whole lives usually can not survive in the wild, they are bound to die. As an environmentalist, I must say this was the most disturbing part of this article. It seems as if the tradition of Ahimsa is great in theory, but it seems to be accomplishing the exact opposite of its intent, thus showing a backfire rather than an accomplishment.

I am not one to judge another culture’s traditions, beliefs, or values. However, I believe if the people of India realized exactly what is happening, it is my prediction that they would probably agree the tradition of Ahimsa in respect to sacred cows should be modified. Not only could it save their sacred cows from being essentially tortured, but it is possible that their economy could see a rise if they were to “properly manage,” as Harris might say, their animals. They might, then, see a change in the health of their citizens, and they may even see a higher efficiency of their economy. And, of course, we would see fewer cases of cows being tortured.

This is just my opinion based on this one article I read, its critiques, and a response to the critiques by the author. I don't know enough about it to make a really formulated opinion on the matter, but I really just wanted to inform everyone on this, because I thought it was moderately interesting and very disturbing. If anyone has more information on the matter, you're very welcome to comment and tell me about it.

Sacred cow of India all dressed up. Poor little guy doesn't even know what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment